The Land Bank is actively involved with other groups and citizens working to clean up our islands on an on-going basis.
In 2013, we helped clean up:
• Henry Island: Nearly one ton of trash and debris was removed with the help of the San Juan Preservation Trust, resident Kip Smith, Crystal Seas Kayaking, and Washington State Parks.
• Deer Harbor Preserve, Orcas Island: 800 pounds of miscellaneous debris was removed by the Department of Natural Resources.
• Eastsound Waterfront Park, Orcas Island: Three tons of creosote was removed by the Department of Natural Resources.
• Crescent Beach Preserve, Orcas Island: 6,660 pounds of creosote was removed by the Department of Natural Resources.
• Deadman Bay Preserve, San Juan Island: 100 pounds of garbage was removed with the help of the staffs of the Land Bank, Bird Rock Hotel, and Earthbox Inn and Spa.
• Fisherman Bay, Lopez Island: Two derelict boats and about five tons of creosote logs were removed by the Washington Conservation Corps.
In 2013, we cared for:
• Over 3,000 acres of preserves
• Over 30,000 feet of marine shoreline
• Over 2,200 acres of land through conservation easements
• Over 23,000 feet of marine shoreline through conservation easements.